Wacław Bębnowski was a Polish sculptor, ceramist and member of the Munich School”. From 1888, he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Cracow under Izydor Jabłoński (1865-1905) and Alfred Daun (1854-1922). In 1893 he began studying in the Sculpting Class at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Munich under Wilhelm von Rümann (1850-1906). In addition, he also studied at the Académie Colarossi in Paris under the direction of François-Laurent Rolard (1842-1912). From around 1897 he ran his own ceramics workshop, where he created decorative sculptures and dishes. In 1903, after a suggestion from his friend Leon Wodziński, Bębnowski founded a workshop at his estate in Służewo in Kujawy. Here he sculpted baptismal fonts, figural decorations for pulpits and stations of the cross from terracotta on request to local churches. In 1905, he bought a house from Wodziński in Aleksandrów Kujawski, in the vicinity of which there were deposits of clay. He gave drawing lessons in municipal schools and in his own studio. He successfully sold his works, mainly sculptures and decorative dishes, at home and abroad. The artist’s work was heavily influenced by Art Nouveau and Symbolism. Fascinated with nature, he sculpted animal figurines, jugs and bowls with floral motifs, he was also fascinated by the world of far-eastern mythology. He mainly created his works in terracotta, using the patina technique he developed. His works are in the National Museums in Poznań and Warsaw as well as in the Kuyavian and Dobrzyń Lands Museum in Włocławek.